Best Canned Fruits: A Comprehensive Guide
Canned fruits have become a popular choice for those seeking the taste and convenience of fruit without the hassle of determining ripeness. Whether you’re looking to enhance your baked goods, salads, or snack trays, canned fruit offers a soft and sweet option that requires minimal preparation. While there are many options on the market, not all canned fruits are created equal. To help you find the best canned fruits, we have compiled a guide that outlines the most important factors to consider when making your selection. In this article, we will explore the criteria for choosing the best canned fruits and present a list of the top 7 options for 2024.
Choosing the Best Canned Fruits
There are several factors to consider when choosing canned fruit. The following buyer’s guide will help you find the best canned fruits to suit your budget, kitchen needs and taste preferences.
1. Determine your preferred fruit
The first step in choosing the best canned fruit is to decide what type of fruit you want. Popular options include sliced peaches, pear halves or slices, pineapple slices or chunks, mandarin orange slices, papaya slices, and tropical fruit salad/cocktail. Once you have determined the fruit you want, you can continue to evaluate other criteria such as packaging and additional ingredients.
2. Search for fruits packaged in fruit juices
The natural flavor and subtle sweetness of fruit are its most appealing attributes. To fully enjoy these characteristics, choose canned fruit in fruit juice or fruit juice concentrate. Avoid canned fruit in syrup, which tends to overpower the natural flavor of the fruit. Most canned fruits are packed in their own juice, with the exception of papaya, which is often packed in pineapple juice for a delicious flavor combination.
3. Choose fruits with no added sugar
To enjoy the true flavor of the fruit, choose canned fruits with no added sugar. Fruits are naturally sweet, and added sugar is unnecessary. This choice gives you more control over the sweetness level when using the fruit in baking or other culinary applications.
4. Choose BPA-free cans
Fruit, especially sour varieties such as pineapple or papaya, can cause can linings to dissolve due to their natural acidity and enzymes. It is advisable to choose canned fruits that are packaged in BPA-free cans to minimize exposure to harmful toxins. BPA, a common can liner, has been linked to hormone disruption and is best avoided for regular consumption.
5. Consider fruits without preservatives
Some brands of canned fruit use vitamin C (ascorbic acid) as a natural preservative to maintain the color of the fruit while it is in the can. Vitamin C is non-toxic and may even provide health benefits. Choosing canned fruit without added preservatives ensures a more natural and healthier product.
6. Organic Options
While not required, choosing certified organic canned fruit ensures that the product is as pure as possible and free of pesticide contamination. Organic farming practices often result in more nutritious and flavorful produce. However, if organic options are out of your budget, rest assured that there are delicious and nutritious non-organic alternatives available.
The 7 Best Canned Fruits of 2023
Now that you’re familiar with the criteria for selecting the best canned fruits, let’s explore the top 7 options for 2023. These selections have been carefully curated based on their quality, taste, and adherence to the aforementioned criteria:
- Amazon Brand Happy Belly Yellow Cling Sliced Peach: Packaged in fruit juice with no added sugar, this product uses vitamin C as a preservative. The can is BPA-free, making it a safe and delicious option.
- Dole Mandarin Oranges in 100% Fruit Juice: Although packaged in a plastic jar, these tangerines are packed in fruit juice with no added sugar. Lemon juice and acerola juice are used as natural preservatives.
- Native Forest Organic Papaya Chunks: Certified organic and packed in real fruit juice, these papaya chunks come in a BPA-free can with no added sugar. The brand also offers a variety of other organic canned fruits.
- Amazon brand Happy Belly Sliced Pears: These sliced pears are packed in fruit juice concentrate with vitamin C as a preservative. The BPA-free can keeps the fruit fresh and flavorful.
- 365 by Whole Foods Market Peaches Yellow Cling Slices Organic: These organic peaches are packed in juice with no added sugar and use vitamin C as a preservative. The BPA-free can further ensures the quality of the fruit.
- 365 by Whole Foods Market Organic Pear Slices: Another organic option, these pear halves are packaged in juice with no added sugar. The can is BPA-free, and the fruit retains its natural flavor and quality.
- Del Monte 100% Juice Canned Pineapple Chunks: These pineapple chunks are packed in their own juice with no added sugar. The can is BPA-free, making it a safe and delicious choice for pineapple lovers.
In conclusion, when choosing the best canned fruit, it is important to consider factors such as type of fruit, packaging medium, no added sugar, BPA-free cans, and the presence or absence of preservatives. By choosing canned fruits that meet these criteria, you can enjoy the natural flavors and benefits of fruit without compromising on taste or quality. The list of Top 7 Canned Fruits for 2024 provides a range of options that are delicious, nutritious and meet the recommended criteria. Incorporating canned fruits into your culinary endeavors or enjoying them as stand-alone treats is a convenient and flavorful way to enjoy the taste of fruit year-round.
Can canned fruit be as healthy as fresh fruit?
Canned fruits can be a healthy option, as long as they are canned in natural juice with no added sugar. They still retain many of the nutrients found in fresh fruit, making them a convenient and nutritious choice.
Are canned fruits good for baking?
Yes, canned fruit can be a great addition to baked goods. They add moisture, flavor and sweetness to recipes such as pies, cakes and muffins. Just be sure to choose fruits that are canned in their own juice or fruit juice concentrate for the best results.
How long can I keep canned fruit?
Canned fruit has a long shelf life, typically one to two years. It is important to check the expiration date on the can and store in a cool, dry place. Once opened, transfer any leftover fruit to a covered container and refrigerate for up to a week.
Can I use canned fruit in salads?
Absolutely! Canned fruit can be a delicious addition to salads, adding a burst of flavor and sweetness. Choose fruits in their own juice or fruit juice concentrate to avoid overpowering the other ingredients in the salad.
Can I use canned fruit syrup in recipes?
While it may be tempting to use canned fruit syrup, it is often high in added sugar and can change the taste and texture of your dish. It is recommended that you drain the syrup and use the fruit itself in your recipes for a more natural and balanced flavor.