The 7 Best American White Cheese Substitutes
White American cheese is a popular cheese in the United States, often found in cheeseburgers and grilled cheese sandwiches. While it melts easily and tastes great, American cheese is not the healthiest option. Fortunately, there are several white American cheese substitutes you can consider. In this article, we will explore the seven best alternatives to white American cheese.
What is American cheese?
American cheese is known for its smooth, creamy texture and quick melting properties. However, it is important to note that American cheese is not technically considered real cheese. It is a cheese product made from a blend of different cheeses, such as cheddar and colby, along with milk, milk fats, whey protein, and other additives. American cheese comes in both white and yellow varieties, with the yellow color often coming from annatto, a natural coloring agent.
Reasons not to eat American cheese
There are several reasons why you may want to consider substituting American cheese in your recipes. First, American cheese often contains preservatives and high levels of sodium, which may not be appropriate for those watching their sodium intake. In addition, American cheese is high in fat, including saturated fat, making it less ideal for people trying to manage their calorie intake. Finally, some brands of American cheese use vegetable oils, which may not be compatible with your dietary preferences or needs.
Is there a substitute for American cheese?
If you’re looking for a substitute for American white cheese, there are several options that offer similar melting properties and flavor profiles. When choosing a substitute, consider the flavor and sodium content of the cheese.
Top 7 White American Cheese Substitutes
- Monterey Jack: Monterey Jack is an excellent substitute for American cheese due to its mild flavor and excellent melting properties. It works well in burgers, sandwiches, macaroni and cheese, and queso dip.
- White Cheddar: White cheddar is a popular choice because of its good melting qualities. It can be used in sandwiches, dips and sauces.
- Mozzarella: Mozzarella cheese, especially fresh mozzarella, is a healthier alternative that melts well and has a delicate flavor. It works well in sandwiches, pasta dishes and cheesy sauces.
- Fontina Cheese: Fontina cheese is a semi-soft cheese with a higher fat content, making it an excellent substitute for American cheese. It melts well and is suitable for sandwiches, sauces and pasta dishes.
- Havarti: Havarti cheese has a buttery and creamy texture that melts to a gooey consistency. While the flavor may differ from American cheese, it is a great option for grilled cheese sandwiches and macaroni and cheese.
- Oaxaca Cheese: Oaxaca cheese is a lesser known Mexican cheese with a stringy texture that melts easily. It has a mild buttery flavor and can be used in baking recipes, fillings, quesadillas and tacos.
- Velveeta Cheese: Velveeta cheese is a processed cheese product similar to American cheese. It melts easily and can be used in various cheese sauces, dips, pasta dishes, and soups. However, it is worth noting that Velveeta cheese is not a healthier option.
While American white cheese is a popular choice for its melting properties, there are several substitutes that offer similar characteristics. Whether you choose Monterey Jack, white cheddar, mozzarella, fontina, havarti, Oaxaca, or Velveeta, these alternatives can enhance your dishes while providing a different flavor profile and potentially healthier options. Consider your preferences and dietary needs when choosing a substitute for American white cheese.
Why would I want to substitute white American cheese?
There are several reasons to consider substituting white American cheese. These may include health concerns, such as high sodium or fat content, or personal taste preferences.
Are these substitutes meltable?
Yes, all of these alternatives melt well and can be used in a variety of dishes that require melted cheese, such as sandwiches, dips and pasta dishes.
Will the substitutes change the flavor of my dish?
While the substitutes have their own distinct flavors, they are specifically selected for their ability to provide a similar taste experience to white American cheese. They should complement your dish without drastically altering the overall flavor.
Can I use these alternatives in recipes that call for white American cheese?
Absolutely! These substitutes can be used interchangeably in recipes that call for white American cheese. Just keep in mind that the flavor and texture may be slightly different, so adjust to your taste preferences.
Are these substitutes readily available at most grocery stores?
Yes, most of these cheeses, such as Monterey Jack, white cheddar, and mozzarella, are commonly found in grocery stores. However, availability may vary depending on your location and the specific brand or variety you’re looking for.
Can these substitutes be used in non-cheese dishes, such as salads or baked goods?
While these substitutes are primarily used as cheese alternatives, they can be incorporated into other dishes as well. For example, shredded white cheddar or mozzarella can be added to salads for extra flavor, and Havarti can be used in baked goods for a creamy texture. Feel free to get creative and experiment!