How to Make Domino’s Crust Seasoning at Home
Domino’s Pizza is known for its delicious and comforting flavors, and one of the key elements that makes their pizzas special is the crust seasoning. If you’re a Domino’s fan and want to recreate that distinctive flavor at home, you’re in luck. Making Domino’s crust seasoning is easy and requires only a few common herbs and spices. In this article, we’ll give you a simple recipe for making your own Domino’s crust seasoning, as well as tips on how to use it to enhance the flavor of your homemade pizzas and other dishes.
The appeal of Domino’s pizza
Domino’s Pizza is an American pizza restaurant chain that has been serving customers since 1960. Over the years, Domino’s has gained widespread popularity both in the United States and internationally. What sets Domino’s apart from other pizza places is its unique blend of seasonings that gives its pizzas a special touch and keeps customers coming back for more.
Make your own Domino’s crust seasoning at home
If you’re a frequent Domino’s customer, you may have noticed that your pizza often comes with an extra packet of oregano seasoning. These packets contain the signature Domino’s crust seasoning that many people love. Fortunately, you can recreate this seasoning blend at home with a few common ingredients.
To make your own Domino’s crust seasoning, here’s what you’ll need:
- ½ tablespoon dried oregano
- ½ tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder or chili flakes
- ¼ teaspoon rosemary
- 1 tablespoon salt
To make the seasoning mix, simply combine all the herbs and spices in a bowl and mix well. You may notice that the texture of your DIY seasoning mix looks different than the one you get from Domino’s. To improve the texture, you can use a mortar and pestle to grind the mixture, which will make the herbs finer and create a smoother overall blend. When your seasoning mix is ready, transfer it to an airtight container or jar, date it, and store it in a dry place.
Using Domino’s Crust Seasoning
Once you have your homemade Domino’s Crust Seasoning, you can use it in a variety of ways to enhance the flavor of your dishes. Here are some suggestions:
- Sprinkle on the pizza crust: After rolling out the pizza dough, sprinkle the seasoning mixture on the crust. The sticky dough helps the seasoning adhere to the sides, resulting in a flavorful and aromatic crust.
- Brush on the crust: For a crispier crust, brush the dough with a little olive oil after rolling it out. Then sprinkle Domino’s Crust Seasoning on top for an extra burst of flavor.
- Sprinkle the toppings on top: Once you’ve added all the toppings to your pizza, sprinkle the crust seasoning on top. This will infuse the entire pizza with the delicious flavors of the seasoning blend.
- Use it on garlic bread: Domino’s is not only famous for its pizza, but also for its garlic bread. You can use your homemade Domino’s crust seasoning to sprinkle on garlic bread, adding a delicious blend of herbs and spices to enhance its flavor.
- Explore other dishes: Don’t limit yourself to using Domino’s Crust Seasoning on pizza and garlic bread. This versatile blend can be used in a variety of dishes, including pasta dishes, sauces, stews, rubs, and more. Experiment with different recipes to discover new ways to enjoy the flavors of the seasoning blend.
Enhance the Domino’s experience
While using Domino’s crust seasoning will undoubtedly give your homemade pizza a taste reminiscent of Domino’s, there are other factors that contribute to the superior taste of Domino’s pizza. Here are some additional tips to help you recreate the Domino’s experience at home:
- The dough: Domino’s uses a bread-based dough with a high gluten content, which gives their pizzas a unique texture and flavor. To mimic this, you can find dough recipes online that replicate the taste and texture of Domino’s pizza crust.
- The sauce: In addition to the seasoning on the crust, the sauce used on Domino’s pizzas plays a critical role in the distinctive taste. Domino’s uses a robust tomato sauce with a rich flavor and thick consistency. You can make your own Domino’s pizza sauce by combining fresh tomato puree, tomato paste, Italian seasoning blend, oregano, garlic, red pepper flakes, vinegar, sugar, salt and other herbs and spices. Cooking the sauce for an hour or two will help develop the flavors and achieve a balanced taste.
By combining your homemade Domino’s crust seasoning with a dough recipe and sauce that closely resemble Domino’s, you can enjoy the flavors of Domino’s pizza in the comfort of your own home.
In conclusion, making Domino’s crust seasoning at home is an easy and rewarding process. With just a few herbs and spices, you can recreate the distinctive flavor that makes Domino’s pizzas so popular. By following the recipe provided and using the seasoning blend on your homemade pizzas and other dishes, you can take your culinary creations to a new level. Remember to experiment and explore different ways to use the seasoning mix to discover your own favorite combinations. Enhancing the Domino’s experience at home goes beyond just seasoning the crust – consider the dough and sauce to truly capture the essence of Domino’s pizza. So roll up your sleeves, gather your ingredients, and start creating your own delicious homemade pizzas with Domino’s Crust Seasoning. Have fun!
Can I adjust the spice level of the Domino’s crust seasoning?
Yes, you have the flexibility to adjust the seasoning level to your preference. If you prefer a milder flavor, you can reduce the amount of chili powder or eliminate it altogether. On the other hand, if you like a spicier kick, you can increase the amount of chili powder or add some additional red pepper flakes.
Can I substitute fresh herbs for the dry herbs in the seasoning mix?
While the recipe calls for dry herbs, you can certainly use fresh herbs if you have them on hand. Keep in mind that the flavor intensity may vary, so you may need to adjust the quantities accordingly. In general, you’ll need a larger amount of fresh herbs than dried herbs to achieve a similar flavor profile.
How long can I store Domino’s Homemade Crust Seasoning?
Homemade Domino’s Crust Seasoning can be stored in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for several months. However, for the best flavor, it is recommended that it be used within 3-6 months.
Can I use Domino’s Crust Seasoning on dishes other than pizza?
Absolutely! Domino’s Crust Seasoning is versatile and can be used to enhance the flavor of many dishes, including pasta, sauces, stews, roasted vegetables, and more. Feel free to experiment and explore different culinary creations using the seasoning blend.
If I make my own Domino’s Crust Seasoning, will it taste exactly like the original?
While homemade Domino’s crust seasoning can come close to the flavor of the original, it may not be an exact match. The commercial version may contain additional ingredients or variations in the proportions used. However, making your own seasoning blend allows you to customize the flavors to your liking and enjoy a unique twist on the Domino’s experience.
Can I use Domino’s Crust Seasoning on frozen or store-bought pizzas?
Yes, you can definitely sprinkle Domino’s homemade crust seasoning on frozen or store-bought pizzas to add an extra layer of flavor. Just follow the pizza manufacturer’s instructions and sprinkle the seasoning on the crust or toppings before baking. It’s a great way to up the flavor and customize the pizza to your liking.