Should You Eat Chocolate with Mold?

Mold on chocolate – To eat or not to eat?

Nothing is more exciting than finding an old bar of chocolate that you had stashed away for a special occasion and forgotten about, especially when you have a little chocolate craving! However, the excitement can quickly dissipate when you unwrap the bar and find that it is covered in a white coating that looks disturbingly similar to mold.
Most of us would immediately throw this chocolate in the trash and not take the chance, because we are always told that mold can make you really sick. But is it really mold on chocolate, and can you still eat it?

Understanding mold on chocolate

Mold almost never grows on chocolate. The white layer you find on chocolate that has been stored for a while is called bloom, and it is caused by the sugar or fat in the chocolate. It is perfectly safe to eat and should not cause you to throw the chocolate away!
Bloom found on chocolate can look chalky, and it may slightly change the taste of the chocolate, but it is not bad for you, and you can still eat the chocolate.
If you are still hesitating to eat your white-spotted chocolate, read on to find out more!

How to tell if chocolate is moldy

It is very difficult for chocolate to grow mold because the chocolate bars we buy in the store do not have enough moisture to support the growth of mold. Chocolate is dry and fairly moisture-free, which is the opposite of what mold and bacteria need to thrive.
However, you may still see a white, chalky coating on the chocolate that you left in the pantry for too long, and while this may look very similar to mold, it is very different and is called bloom. Bloom occurs when chocolate is exposed to changing temperatures or external moisture, which is why bloom only affects the outside of the chocolate.
This bloom is caused by either the sugar or the fat in the chocolate crystallizing, which causes the off-white chalk coating or spots that the chocolate develops.
The most common time people notice mold on chocolate is when they make chocolate by hand at home and use wet ingredients. This could happen with homemade truffles or similar chocolate delicacies that have a wetter consistency. However, this will not happen with store-bought chocolate bars, which are usually very dry and free of moisture.

Why is my chocolate white?

The most likely reason your chocolate has turned white is due to bloom, which is a very common phenomenon that happens to chocolate that has been exposed to external moisture or a change in temperature.
There are two types of bloom, which means there are two different reasons why your chocolate may develop a white coating. The first is sugar bloom and the second is fat bloom.
Sugar bloom occurs when chocolate comes in contact with external moisture. This causes the sugar crystals on the surface of the chocolate bar to dissolve, which then appears as a white chalky residue on the surface of the chocolate.
Fat bloom occurs when chocolate is not properly tempered or is stored in conditions where the temperature changes quite drastically. Fat bloom looks very similar to sugar bloom, but is a bit more gray and powdery.

Is there really mold on chocolate?

Although it is very, very rare, there is a possibility that mold can grow on chocolate. Most of the time, the white layer you see on chocolate is either sugar bloom or fat bloom, but there are some special cases where chocolate can actually grow mold.
One way chocolate can grow mold is if the cocoa beans used to make the chocolate were moldy before processing. Cocoa, the main ingredient used to make chocolate, is harvested and then processed to make chocolate. Most reputable chocolate brands pay a high price for good quality cocoa beans, but some don’t, and sometimes things slip through the cracks and moldy cocoa beans may have been used to make your chocolate.
In other, very unlikely cases, mold can be caused by poor packaging or pathogens that the chocolate was exposed to during packaging. Other things that are added to chocolate, such as fruit or nuts, can also be a reason for mold to be present. If you are ever unsure, it is safer to throw the chocolate away and buy a new bar!

Green mold vs. white mold on chocolate

Green mold and white mold are the two most common colors of mold that you will find on food and growing in your home. Green mold prefers to grow on food, and white mold prefers to grow on plants or wood-based surfaces.
If there were any mold on chocolate, whether green or white, it would be a cause for concern and the chocolate should not be consumed. However, it’s important to reiterate that mold growth on chocolate is extremely rare.


In most cases, the white coating you see on chocolate is not mold, but rather a harmless phenomenon known as bloom. Bloom occurs when chocolate is exposed to moisture or temperature changes, causing the sugar or fat in the chocolate to crystallize and create a white, chalky appearance. This bloom is safe to eat and does not pose a health risk.
However, if you notice unusual colors or textures on your chocolate, especially green mold, it is best to throw it away as a precaution. Mold growth on chocolate is extremely rare, but can occur under certain circumstances, such as the use of moldy cocoa beans or improper storage conditions.
When in doubt, trust your senses. If the chocolate smells off, tastes strange, or shows signs of mold growth, it’s better to err on the side of caution and throw it away. Enjoy your chocolate treats, but remember to store them properly in a cool, dry place to minimize the risk of mold.


Can I eat chocolate with a white coating?

Yes, the white coating on chocolate is usually bloom, not mold, and it is safe to eat.

How can I tell if chocolate is moldy?

It is very rare for chocolate to get moldy. If you see a white, chalky coating, it is more likely to be bloom than mold.

What causes a white coating on chocolate?

The white coating, known as bloom, is caused by the sugar or fat in the chocolate crystallizing due to exposure to moisture or temperature changes.

Does bloom affect the flavor of chocolate?

Bloom can slightly change the taste of chocolate, but it is not harmful or bad for you to consume.

What should I do if I find mold on my chocolate?

While mold growth on chocolate is rare, if you do find mold, it is best to discard the chocolate to avoid any potential health risks.

Are there cases where mold can grow on chocolate?

Although rare, mold can grow on chocolate if the cocoa beans used were moldy prior to processing, or if there were problems with packaging or exposure to pathogens.